10g per serve
3g per serve
3g per serve
0.7g per serve
Suitable for:Pregnant Women
This roast potato recipe makes roasties that have more flavour and a perfect crunchy outside, with a lovely soft inside. It is based on a recipe by the father of a school friend, altho I have dispensed with the frying stage he included as I found it didn't add much to the taste, so the extra time, mess and expense weren't worth it.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into typical roast potato size pieces.
- Rinse off excess starch and put the potatoes into a pan of cold water.
- Add a pinch of salt and turn on the heat. Boil for 7-8 mins.
- While the potatoes are boiling, put oil into the roasting tin and heat it in the oven.
- If you aren't using a squeezy bovril you need to warm your bovril in warm water to help it pour
- Tip the potatoes into a colander to drain and leave to steam-dry for a minute or so.
- Drizzle bovril onto the potatoes in the colander. Continuously move the jar so you are drizzling a thin line of bovril - try to get an even cross-hatch pattern all over the potatoes.
- Toss them around to get a good even coating. Do this over a sink as some bovril will drip through the colander
- Transfer the potatoes into the heated roasting dish and gently turn with a large spoon so they are covered in oil.
- Put the potatoes into the oven (at approx 200C) for approx 1 hour. the longer you leave them the crisper the outside will go.
- 1.5 kg potatoes
- 150 g bovril
- 2 tbsp goose fat
- Large roasting tin
- Potato Peeler
- Chopping board
- Large pan
- Colander or Sieve
- Large metal spoon
Original Recipe Credit: Brian Winn-Smith. If you are cooking for someone who doesn't eat beef this recipe will also work quite well with chicken bovril. For vegetarians and vegans it can also be made with Marmite. The best potatoes for roasting are King Edwards or Maris Piper. It is far easier to apply bovril from one of the squeezy plastic jars than the standard glass jars
- Serving size: 280g
- (11% / 14%) Calories: 282kcal
- (18%)Total fat: 10g
- (15%) Saturated fat: 3g
- (17%) Unsaturated fat: 6g
- (8%) Cholesterol: 23mg
- Trans Fat: 0.0g
- (13%)Total carbohydrates: 40g
- (10%) Sugars: 3g
- (24%) Fibre: 6g
- (16%)Protein: 8g
- (14%) Sodium: 286mg
- (31%) Potassium: 1.1g